One of the most common and frequent triggers for rosacea flare is sunlight or ultraviolet radiation. Daily sun protection is essential to treat and prevent progression of rosacea.
A sun screen product whose main active ingredient is a physical agent such as zinc or titanium is recommended for sensitive skin patients and patients who suffer from rosacea. Chemical sun screens can cause sting and burn and are more likely to irritate the eyes. Chemical sun screens work by absorbing the ultraviolet rays of sunlight. This is then converted to heat energy in the skin which can cause a flush or flare of rosacea skin. Zinc works by reflecting the sun’s rays and thus does not produce heat in the skin. Zinc is also anti-inflammatory which is ideal for the sensitive skin of rosacea.
Sun protection also includes avoidance of sun exposure during peak hours of the day. Wear a sun protective hat and seek shade when possible. During physical activity, sun screen should be re-applied every 2-3 hours.
Sunscreens that are great for Rosacea
Avene Redness Relief Soothing Cream SPF 25
- Light green cream neutralizes and helps minimize the appearance of redness
- Contains Avène Thermal Spring Water to soothe and soften the skin
Elta UV Clear SPF 46
- Lightweight, oil-free sunscreen that calms and soothe skin
- Contains Niacinamide (vitamin B3) which is anti-inflammatory and can reduce breakouts as well as calm skin
Elta UV Sport SPF 50
- Great for athletes, outdoor activities, water sports, etc.
Elta UV Physical SPF 41
- Chemical-free, non-greasy tinted sunscreen, great for light coverage
- Goes on smooth and easy and doesn’t cause irritation
- Antioxidants to neutralize free radicals to help prevent sun damage
Rosaclear Sun Protection SPF 30
- Sheer pink color that blends in easily with skin
- Chemical free and contains reflective agents that help reduce the appearance of redness and blotchiness
- Has the highest zinc level of these tinted sunscreens
Intellishade SPF 45:
- Most make-up like tinted sunscreen that can be combined with powders for full coverage
- Provides superior hydration while covering imperfections
- Click here to read Madeline’s product review on Intellishade!